Location of office: Leeds City Centre
Salary: £35,000 – £45,000
A business based in Leeds City Centre, within walking distance of the train station is looking to recruit a Junior Project Manager to the team. The Junior Project will be working from modern Leeds City Centre offices, with break out areas, pool and table tennis tables and located in an area of Leeds popular for bars, restaurants and businesses. The company is part of a business with annual sales of 15 billion and is one of the largest consumer electronics businesses in the world. The business has 3 core divisions, consumer white goods, consumer camera systems and the digital / IOT side of the business, which is where the Junior Project Manager will be working.
The Leeds City Centre office is where all R&D and architecture for the product range takes place, so the Junior Project Manager will have ample support from peers to ensure they become an expert in their field including from people who designed the products. The Junior Project Manager will be managing the process for products such as Set Top Boxes, Dongles, IP Controls, Home Security Systems and Wireless Routers to name just a few product in the range, all products are “IoT” connected devices.
The products are part of a new brand for the business and they are looking to get a foothold in this highly competitive market, and hence this is a very exciting time to join and make a name for yourself and help grow a Project Management Function. The Junior Project Manager is likely to be at the early stage of their career in project management and have a dep interest in technology or be an technical person wanting to get their first opportunity in project management. The Junior Project Manager will be reporting directly to the Engineering Director, who’s own career is one of success in technology, so there is not a better person to learn from.
The Technical Director is willing to offer vast support to the Junior Project Management so long as they are enthusiastic, motivated, and excited by tech and with a desire to be a project manager. Enthusiasm is key! The responsibilities for the role are below
Under the mentorship and support of the Engineering Director and wider delivery team the junior project manager will;
- Work with the wider team to enable new business negotiations with first-cut estimates and advice.
- Work with customer and wider team to ensure product requirements are clearly understood and agreed.
- Facilitate negotiations with suppliers and 3rd parties to ensure that they can support the plan (e.g., software vendors, external approvals)
- Prepare and manage all project documentation and plans
- Responsibility for delivering products and services to agreed time-scales and the required level of quality, including the management of risk to ensure these objectives are made
- Drive continuous development efficiency activities, continually searching for potential upside opportunities in schedule and product quality
- Drive and co-ordinate assessment and resolution of any issues/problems that may arise in line with the schedule commitment
- Work collaboratively with development partners
- Develop, monitoring and distribute of project specific plans, capturing and reporting progress against project plans utilising project-based planning tools
- Work in partnership with other functions in the wider team to secure necessary cross-functional input to projects and to secure necessary core technology, design and test inputs, ensuring that all milestones on the plan are achieved
- Work with operations and technical team to ensure that volume manufacture starts smoothly and on time
- Establish and monitor development targets and schedules to ensure timely completion within the required quality, continually questioning, challenging and checking of progress on tasks being performed by the team and third parties.
- Develop, manage, and report progress against objectives as appropriate
- Manage stakeholders to ensure project meets business requirements
- Manage customer & supplier relationships in partnership with the commercial owner
- Continual monitoring, management and mitigation of existing and new risks throughout the project. Communication and escalation where necessary and appropriate
- Employ continuous improvement, and drive consistency of process and tools aimed at improving the way the company manages projects
- The Project Manager owns the content and the accuracy of the information (project plans, reviews, review of the reports & associated approvals, including ensuring actions are addressed accordingly).
The Junior Project Manager will be in the office initially to ensure they fully understand the role and then will be able to work 3 days onsite and 2 days from home. This is a brand-new role, with no one else in this department and hence a huge opportunity to join a hugely successful business, with revenues that are in the billions, beautiful offices, 5 minutes’ walk from Leeds Train Station, working on complex products designed in the UK and the chance to build a team!
The salary is £35,000- £45,000 plus benefits