LOCATION OF WORK: Knutsford ordinarily. In the immediate future it will be working remotely from home.
A UK design and manufacturing house, who provide handheld solutions for the mobile workforce, medical sector and law enforcement are looking to recruit an electronics design engineer to join the team. The role will be remote initially, but then will be on site at our client in Cheshire. The company were founded over 30 years ago so have been able to survive this difficult economic period, and the fact their products and solutions cover all commercial sectors from retail to medical and transportation to in vehicle solutions, has ensured they have a breadth of customer base to compete in very difficult conditions.
The business has continued to invest in R&D and has a very stable team, with the R&D manager having 16 years loyal service and the Engineering Director over 20 years’ service. The company is able to provide unique solutions to fit customer requirements, ensuring they offer bespoke design solutions which can be handheld and portable, based within a retail environment, in vehicle or for private businesses.
KO2’s client is looking for a competent professional who is able to work independently in a small multi-disciplinary team. They ask that a positive attitude is essential, as is flexibility, creativity and pragmatism, combined with an in depth understanding of real world solutions. The company is generally very busy, and this is an important role within the company, so dynamism and energy are prerequisites.
KO2’s directors have worked with this business since 2007 and are proud to represent a friendly, successful and stable business in their growth plans, despite the difficult market conditions.
Please find some of the skills required below, you are not expected to have all these skills, the company is looking for the right attitude and brain, rather than ticking every box on a spec.
- A degree or equivalent in Electronic Engineering or related discipline
- PCB design from concept/specification development, development of solutions, selection of components, through schematic capture and PCB layout
- Software and firmware for real-time and mobile systems
- Excellent spoken and written English
Experience of the following would be extremely useful:
- KiCad schematic and PCB
- STM32 Cortex M4
- Bluetooth 5 modules
- WiFi modules
- USB 3 Type-C including Power Delivery control via STUSB
- Li-Ion battery charging and management and mobile power considerations
- SM Power supply design
- Digital/Analog signal conditioning
- Control circuitry, load drivers, stepper motor control
- I2C, SPI, UART interfaces
- Design for EMC and other certifications (e.g. CE, LVD, CB, FCC, UL, CCC, etc)
- Capable of ‘bringing up prototype hardware’, and be comfortable using scopes, bus analysers, etc
- Building, testing, debugging prototypes and early production models
- Design of test equipment and procedures for high reliability production of volume parts
- Visual Studio, C++, C#, Python, bash
- Source Control, e.g. GIT, subversion
- Collaboration tools, e.g. Confluence
- Experience of Windows App, Android, iOS or other mobile application development would be useful
- a 37.5 hour working week
- a contributory pension scheme (5%/5%)
- private healthcare
- 29 days paid holiday increasing with service
- death in service benefit
- some flexibility in working hours
- a friendly relaxed atmosphere where everyone is focused on creating excellent products